A Distributor’s Guide from Above

 

Yesterday, I had the opportunity to address the sales team of a very progressive distributor.
Zoom meeting etiquette calls for the speaker to introduce themselves and provide a bit of background.  As I thought about my presentation, I had an epiphany.  Every presentation I have made in the past 20 years could be tied to four or five guiding principles first developed when I joined a small Electrical/Automation Distributor in about 1991. 

 

1.      A distributor needs to not only know the technology of the products they sell, but they also must know how the product is applied.

2.      That knowledge of both product and application must be used as a competitive advantage to sell more.

3.      A distributor should be paid for what they know.  Whether they are paid through higher prices or via fees attached to services, it takes money to fuel the study and training to know more.

4.      We sell technology and we need to use technology to make our business more efficient. 

5.      People make a difference in every business.  Work isn’t always fun, but whenever possible it should be.

 

These are my North Stars and my guiding thoughts.  They take me down a lot of paths and through some very exciting adventures, but my thoughts keep returning to these points.

 

Try as I might, I can’t break from those five points.    


What’s guiding you?   
We’d love to hear about it and possibly feature you in a future article!




Frank Hurtte, Founding Partner of River Heights Consulting, shares his personal experiences with 28

years of "in the trenches" training and 17 years as a consultant.  He serves as a personal coach to industry leaders across many lines of distribution.  He has authored 5.5 books (one is almost done) and has written hundreds of articles for national trade magazines, including Industrial Supply Magazine.

 Frank is also a sought-after copywriter of marketing materials for technology companies.  His charismatic, yet laid-back, easy-to-follow manner makes him a favorite among public speakers.






.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

50 Questions for Distributors

Ship and Debit Programs

Where are the Sales Calls?